Scholarism was founded by a group of Hong Kong students, and it opposes against the academic subject Moral and National Education which is planned to be implemented by the HKSAR government on September 1st 2012. Scholarism expresses its opinions towards Moral and National Education in a mild and peaceful way. Scholarism demands that the HKSAR government should immediately retract the subject Moral and National Education.
About Moral and National Education
Moral and National Education aims to teach students positive values and attitude, and help them maintain good moral standard. In this subject, students’ critical-thinking is nurtured and students should think independently. It improves the quality of citizen and help students build up patriotism. Moral and National Education is planned to be promoted to Primary and Secondary students starting from September 1st 2012.
About Scholarism’s demonstration on August 8th 2012
We went to the headquarter of the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions (FTU) and demanded that FTU’s candidates in 2012 Legislative Council Election (including Wong Kwok-Hing and Chan Yuen-Han) should declare their positions on the implementation of Moral and National Education. We also demanded that FTU’s candidates in 2012 Legislative Council Election should make ‘retracting Moral and National Education’ as one of their objectives in the political program. Sadly, FTU sent a security guard to receive our petition asking FTU’s candidates to declare their stands. When we were calling Chan Yuen-Han, one of the FTU Honorary President, she hung up. Accordingly, we posted some Chinese words on the wall of FTU, expressing our anger towards FTU’s negative attitude.
Reasons for opposing Moral and National Education
- The official teaching material sponsored by the HK Education Bureau is written by a member of China Communist Party, which violates the legislation ‘One Country, Two Systems’ in the Basic Law as educational affairs of HK should be done only by the HKSAR instead of the Central government.
- The content of the official teaching material is exaggerated and false as it also avoids negative information and shameful events (such as the June Fourth Incident) brought by the Central government. As primary students are not mentally-mature, they may be misled and students cannot think independently and critically as the official teaching material only reports on positive side.
- Teachers are pressured under the education system and they often spend their own time preparing for lesson. After implementing Moral and National Education, the overload of teachers lowers the quality of education. Under such circumstances, teachers takes the official teaching material as textbook to teach students as they can save time preparing for lesson.
- Moral and National Education ignores the minorities as they are not Chinese, causing racial discrimination.
- Some subjects such as Chinese, Chinese History, Liberal Studies have already achieve the objectives of Moral and National Education. Therefore, Moral and National Education is not necessary to be implemented.